Tuesday, January 21, 2014

August: Osage County (2013)

A black comedy-drama about a dysfunctional family with a penchant for dining table hysterics.


"Eat your fish, bitch!"

Directed by:  John Wells (The Company Men)
Written by:  Tracy Letts
Music by:  Gustavo Santaolalla (Brokeback Mountain, Babel)
Cinematography by:  Adriano Goldman
Editing by:  Stephen Mirione (Traffic)
Running Time:  120 mins
Budget:  $20 million
Box Office: over $24 million


In one scene where Violet (Streep) was running away from the car (where to, I don't know.) - just watching her running - just running - and Roberts finally catching up and telling her "There's no place to go." suddenly gave me that feeling of wanting to be an actress. Not for the fame or glamor, but to live forever because she will be watched & admired by generations to come. Damn it MERYL STREEP IS GONNA LIVE FOREVER! This woman is so great she gave me the "feels" just by running! C'mon! Give this lady an Oscar! She probably won't win though. Too bad, she is incredibly fascinating in this movie. That can also be said about Julia Roberts. 





The table scenes are hilarious! If I'll ever make a list of my favorite movie scenes, these would be included.

A truly & insanely well-acted film, not only from Streep & Roberts but also from the whole cast. Chris Cooper & Margo Martindale as Charlie & Mattie Fae Aiken are the highlights of this movie, not to mention the oh-so-fabulously-adorable Benedict Cumberbatch! Seriously, this guy is amazing. 

What I didn't enjoy in this movie is that it's too depressing. Sure, it's a black comedy-drama, but it felt like it was aiming more to be a serious drama with only a tinge of comedic dialogues/scenes, but ultimately not having enough weight to be taken seriously. Take away the acting and biting dialogues, all we have is an average story that we see daily in soap operas. In other words, the depressing drama was written for effect, not for substance. Some movies, no matter how dark it could get, they stick. They affect me. They make me wanna watch it again. This one, while greatly-acted, didn't satisfy me. It's not something I would want to watch over and over. Maybe because in the end, (SPOILERS) everything just went downhill and nothing gets resolved. Maybe Violet has scarred her children for life, pushed her husband to kill himself, and pretty much destroyed everything surrounding her - still, can you really leave your cancer-stricken, mentally-impaired, drug-dependent mother alone with an "Indian" (I'm sorry, Native American. SHAME ON ME!!) housekeeper especially at a time when she needs her family most? That last scene with Streep hugging Upham killed me. I just couldn't handle a story that ends that way. I'm attached to my mom and despite our constant bickering, I love her and I couldn't imagine doing that to her. 


My Rating: 3.5/5 - Acting is excellent. Story is nothing out of the ordinary. Table scenes are hilarious and unforgettable. I've enjoyed it, but the climax depressed me and I probably wouldn't remember the movie, aside from the acting. There are better films in 2013 that would be greatly remembered, and this is not one of them.

Countdown to the Oscars: Meryl Streep is nominated Best Actress, and Julia Roberts as Best Supporting. Streep, basing from her performance may have a chance in winning, though Blanchett is obviously the frontrunner for this category. Roberts, delivered one of her better performances in my opinion, but she will probably lose to the other nominees.

I want that award goddammit!


YOUR POINT OF VIEW: If you were Barbara (Roberts), what would you have done in the end?


LIKE, Share or Follow my blog, it may not change the world but it will change mine LOL :)

Check out my personal blog, Ravings of a Madwoman
Follow me on Tumblr! Ravings of a Madwoman
To my fellow bookworms, add me on Goodreads: Lucresia Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...