Friday, May 3, 2013

MOVIE REVIEW: Jack Reacher (2012)

Director: Christopher McQuarrie

Starring: Tom Cruise (Jack Reacher), Rosamund Pike (Helen Rodin), Richard Jenkins (Alex Rodin), David Oyelowo (Emerson), Werner Herzog (The Zec), Robert Duvall (Cash)

Tagline:   "The law has limits. He does not."

Plot: In an innocent heartland city, five are shot dead by an expert sniper. The police quickly identify and arrest the culprit, and build a slam-dunk case. But the accused man claims he's innocent and says "Get Jack Reacher." - - - - - - - - 

I'll probably gonna rant, because this movie is a huge disappointment.


Storyline - slightly above average at best. At least better than that nightmare of a movie called Alex Cross. Still, it's nothing to gush about. Plot and characterization are not that polished. Few surprises/twists, no complicated mind-boggling awesome storyline to follow so for the duration of the film please be warned that your brain might go into "sleep mode" once in a while. 






Helen:  "This one I think I understand, but you? Why'd you do it?"  
Emerson:  "You make it sound like I had a choice."
Helen: "Oh, didn't you?"  
Emerson: "You'll see." 
Well... the movie ended, and no I didn't see. -_- 

And when that lady was asked who she thinks can kill a woman with one punch and she said she can only think of one person - Reacher.. I was like wahahahhahahahahhat?? LOL. While Tom Cruise may be Hollywood god, still, he's a smurf O_O nobody in their right mind would automatically think he can kill someone, even a woman, with one punch -_- If a movie will drastically change a character from a book, then make sure you polish your screenplay. Book Reacher is huge (so what the lady said makes sense.. in the book), Movie Reacher is a dwarf -_- Even with his deadly skills, it's not credible, basing from his physical stature.

The opening scene tricked me into believing that this will be a smart, fast-paced movie. That awesome sniper scene is my favorite part(It reminded me a bit of my favorite Hitch film Rear Window, where the camera is from the lead's point of view. In this scene, it's a sniper rifle). And then they introduce Reacher, all cool and sexy which makes women swoon. Yeah right. Downward spiral from that moment on.


Cast - The only one i truly liked is Cash (Robert Duvall). Werner Herzog too has more character than Tom Cruise. And the only character i felt sympathy for (or any kind of emotional attachment to) is Sandy.. who isn't even in the main cast which is pathetic. The rest are just bland and painfully boring. 


Action Scenes - this is not an action movie, obviously. Although I can't say this is a thriller as well because I've been more thrilled looking at traffic lights. Okay fine, that's being too harsh. There are a few good scenes. But there are also some scenes verging on ludicrous that just made me not like this movie all the more. That scene when Emerson saw Reacher in the car -- slowly he clenches his fist, Reacher then also slowly reach for the gear stick. Oh the melodrama! And then there's this scene in Jeb's house where two thugs rush inside the bathroom ready to beat the gayshit out of Reacher, and they "comically" went in at the same time and couldn't fit, and then they have this stupid competition on who's gonna land the first blow on Reacher's pretty face. What's up with that? I'm sure it's for comic relief but for me it failed miserably. Then again maybe I've turned into this humorless frog that can't appreciate good scenes. Whatever. That scene is like watching The TWO Stooges in steroids trying to hit Moe.


I like the scene with Cash covering for Reacher as he tries to save Helen. But then Reacher comes face to face with The Zec's main guy, and he decides to fistfight with him. I was like -_- Really? You're trying to save a girl, and you choose to waste your time throwing punches when you could just shoot the damn guy already? If you want to make the guy who kidnapped your non-lover girl suffer then just shoot his damn crotch and save the girl already! Maybe it shows that Reacher wants to fight fair. But really, that's not the time to be gallant.



THE VERDICT:


Low on action and thrills, a lot of cheesy dialogues. An okay plot. I was mildly entertained. It's passable. But I would have been annoyed if i watched this in cinema. Because that would be a total waste of ticket/popcorn money.


MY RATING:

2.5/5 - one viewing is enough. Unless you enjoy seeing a shirtless Tom Cruise. LOL



What's your favorite scene from the movie?




I appreciate and welcome opinions/comments. Please LIKE & Rate, Share or Follow my blog, it may not change the world but it will change mine LOL :)

Follow me on Tumblr! Ravings of a Madwoman
To my fellow bookworms, add me on Goodreads: Lucresia Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...