Friday, May 3, 2013

Melancholia (2011)

Director & Writer: Lars Von Trier

Starring: Kirsten Dunst(Justine), Charlotte Gainsbourg (Claire), Kiefer Sutherland (John)

Taglines:

"Enjoy it while it lasts"

"It will change everything"

"Two sisters find their already strained relationship challenged as a mysterious new planet threatens to collide with the Earth."

- - - - - - 

I can't comment much about this film I think I need to rewatch this to be sure if i do like it or not. One thing I'm certain of is Lars Von Trier's genius. His films may not be appealing to everybody, but his films and the human issues involved are authentic and worth watching.

I've only seen two of his movies (The Idiots, Dancer in the Dark) so I was used to his Dogme 95 technique and I'm actually surprised to see the polished quality of Melancholia. There is still his trademark shaky camera movement, but the sandy, gritty texture is gone. The cinematography/shots are actually beautiful, although there are a few too-dark scenes which I didn't like. 



Acting is faultless. Kirsten Dunst is as usual very effective. Claire Gainsbourg is also really good in here.

The music is haunting and makes you feel what the characters are feeling -- even when all you hear is a buzz/hum, it all fits.

Melancholia tackles a lot about human conditions -- Finding happiness and meaning through routines or other social interactions, familial ties, science, human worth, depression, impending doom.... everything. The sci-fi theme is more symbolic rather than the main genre, so don't expect something like 2012 or Day After Tomorrow, coz you will be sorely disappointed. There's a planet about to either collide or just fly by Earth. That's it.

The Verdict:


This is a film which makes you think and gives you a closer look into human emotions. It's a visual and emotional experience - it's a beautiful film. But was i entertained? I can't say I was. It made me, well, melancholic. This is not a feel-good movie. It's typical Von Trier arthouse film, so please be warned. 

My Rating:  3/5  - This film is not for everybody. 





Is the blending of sci-fi and art house human drama a winning formula? Did Lars pull it off?




I appreciate and welcome opinions/comments. Please LIKE & Rate, Share or Follow my blog, it may not change the world but it will change mine LOL :)

Follow me on Tumblr! Ravings of a Madwoman
To my fellow bookworms, add me on Goodreads: Lucresia Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...