Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Raid: Redemption (2011)

Original Title: "Serbuan Maut"

Director/Writer: Gareth Evans

Starring: Iko Uwais (Rama), Joe Taslim (Jaka), Donny Alamsyah (Andi), Yayan Ruhian (Mad Dog), Ray Sahetapy (Tama)

Taglines:  
"1 Ruthless Crime Lord, 20 Elite Cops, 30 Floors of Chaos"
"When there's nowhere left to run or hide... you fight or die."

Plot Summary: "A SWAT team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs." - IMDb


- - - - - - - - - -

This movie is awesome.

I never thought that an Indonesian movie could make me feel so satisfied with what I saw. O_O Watching the non-stop action inside a dilapidated building, cramped hallways, inside the rooms, even in an elevator, - up close and fast-paced gives you the feeling that you're in there. It has everything, from gunplay to knife fights, eye-gouging, and a lot of martial arts action.


Even with a minimal plot and dialogues, I couldn't even complain about it - because this film doesn't need more than it has shown me. It's well-explained, no plotholes, you can even see character development as the action scenes end or begin. 

The music fits well with the scenes.

There are numerous unforgettable fight scenes and deaths.

The cast/characters are memorable. It's especially fun to watch the major characters because they reminded me of Filipino celebrities - Mad Dog reminded me of a 90's Filipino comedian, Rene Requiestas, and the protagonist Rama is definitely a look-alike, maybe a less handsome version of PBA star James Yap. Andi, reminded me of one of our city's newly-elected councilor hahahahah but that's irrelevant. 





I also liked Jaka, and his one-on-one fight with Mad Dog was one of my favorites. The "lizard on the wall" thing was so funny. 





The Verdict: 

I couldn't put into words how much this movie kicks ass. It's simply one of the best action movies I have seen and probably better than most Hollywood movies of the same genre. The stunts are awesome, violence and gore are so intense but not in an affected, gross manner. This is a must-see for everyone. Best seen in cinemas or wide screen.


My Rating:  

5/5 - I expected an action movie, I got one in a pure, unadulterated form. Beautiful and mind-blowing. Worth watching and re-watching. I got more than I expected. Iko Uwais is a star that I will remember and be watching out for.






Mad Dog: "Pulling the trigger is like ordering takeout (puts down gun)...this (shows hands) is what its all about."


The hallway scene with Rama & Bowo on their way to Room 726, and the "threesome" of Andi, Rama, and Mad Dog are my favorite scenes. What's yours?




I appreciate and welcome opinions/comments. Please LIKE & Rate, Share or Follow my blog, it may not change the world but it will change mine LOL :)

Follow me on Tumblr! Ravings of a Madwoman
To my fellow bookworms, add me on Goodreads: Lucresia Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...